My personal guidelines
The latest meme to take root among fractal artists is the call for critique. So - on the basis that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em - I thought I'd throw out for discussion my personal guidelines on the giving of criticism.
1. If it isn't specifically asked for, ask yourself what is your motive for offering it before putting finger to keyboard.
2. If it isn't asked for, offer a suggestion
, don't give a critique.
3. Don't conflate suggestions, criticism and technical advice. They can, & do, overlap but they are not entirely the same.
4. Think very, very carefully before offering any of the above on an image which is in a style you don't personally care for.
5. Giving critique doesn't necessarily make you a better artist unless you apply the same critical eye to your own work.
And why, for goodness' sake, is 'criticism' so bad, but 'critique' so good? Yes, 'criticism' is often used in a pejorative sense but please go read the definition
, put on your big girl panties and stop cissying around
Lastly, consider this meaning of 'criticism': the act or art of analyzing and evaluating or judging the quality of a literary or artistic work, musical performance, art exhibit, dramatic production, etc.
Criticism, critique, call it what you may, does not necessarily mean 'finding fault' or 'suggesting improvements'.
Non Fractal Favs